Migraine headaches are a bit of mystery to the western medical world. According to the Migraine Research Foundation, this neurological disease affects nearly 39 million Americans. Migraines are characterized by severe, throbbing pain usually found on only one side of the head. Migraine headaches can also be accompanied by visual disturbances, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and extreme sensitivity to light and sound. These types of headaches can last from four hours to several days. Modern medicine uses pharmaceuticals for treatment to mask the pain, frequently causing the patient to become dependent on the medication.
There is an alternative though to treating Migraine headaches and this alternative helps solve the problems that are happening in the body of the patient that are causing the migraines. The alternative medical system is Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), which may include modalities such as acupuncture, herbal medicine and lifestyle recommendations. Here are five reasons why migraine sufferers should consider acupuncture:
1. Acupuncture has been proven to relieve migraine pain. Thousands of studies have shown acupuncture treatments can effectively relieve and reduce pain.
2. Acupuncture reduces inflammation. While migraines are not completely understood, it is agreed upon by most professionals that any headache involves some sort of inflammatory response. Acupuncture promotes the release of vascular and immune-mediating factors that decrease inflammation.
3. Acupuncture can reduce serotonin levels. Serotonin is a hormone the body creates and many researchers, scientists and neurologists believe serotonin may be linked to the initiation of migraines. Since acupuncture can be used as preventive medicine, it can also help to balance serotonin levels on a long term basis, thus making migraines less likely to develop.
4. Acupuncture can help with the symptoms of migraines. Nausea, dizziness and vomiting can all be reduced with acupuncture care.
5. Acupuncture improves blood circulation. Many times, when a person experiences pain, it is because of ischemia, a lack of proper blood flow and decreased oxygen to the tissues. This is as true for migraines as any other type of pain. Acupuncture can improve blood circulation, which also increases the amount of oxygen that reaches the tissues.